1 properly related in size or degree or other measurable characteristics; usually followed by `to'; "punishment oughtt to be proportional to the crime"; "earnings relative to production" [syn: relative]
2 increasing as the amount taxed increases [syn: graduated] n : one of the quantities in a mathematical proportion
- At a constant ratio (to). Two magnitudes (numbers) are said to be proportional if the second varies in a direct relation arithmetically to the first.
- In proportion (to), proportionate. More common
in US than UK.
- ...how much of the Bush administration's immediate post-9/11 emphasis on Iraq was appropriate and proportional to the overall picture of terrorism — Wikipedia:Foreign_policy_of_the_George_W._Bush_administration retrieved 24 Jan 2005.
at a constant ratio (to)
- Finnish: verrannollinen
- Finnish: suhteutettu
Proportionality may refer to:
- Proportionality (mathematics), the special mathematical relationships of direct and inverse proportion between two variables
- Proportionality (physics)
- Proportionality (law), a legal principle under municipal law in which the punishment of a certain crime should be in proportion to the severity of the crime itself, and under international law an important consideration when assessing the military necessity of an attack on a military objective
- Proportionality (political maxim), a maxim which states that any layer of government should not take any action that exceeds that which is necessary to achieve the objective of government
Proportion redirects here. Proportion may refer to:
Proportional redirects here. Proportional may refer to:
- Proportional (fair division) means that each of n players thinks that they received 1/n of the cake.
- A proportional control system is a type of linear feedback control system
- Proportional representation in electoral systems
- Proportional fonts
proportional in German: Proportion
proportional in Esperanto: Proporcio
proportional in French: Proportion
proportional in Italian: Proporzionalità
proportional in Norwegian: Proporsjon
proportional in Portuguese: Proporcionalidade
proportional in Swedish: Proportionalitet
3-D, affinitive, analogical, analogous, appertaining, associative, balanced, commensurable, commensurate, comparable, comparative, compatible, congenial, connective, consistent, contingent, correlated, correlative, corresponding, cubic, dependent, dimensional, distributional, distributive, en rapport, equal, even stephen, fifty-fifty, flat, fourth-dimensional, half, half-and-half, halvers, harmonious, in accordance with, linking, particular, per capita, per head, pertaining, pertinent, pro rata, proportionable, proportionate, proportioned, prorated, reciprocal, referable, referring, related, relating, relational, relative, respective, several, space, space-time, spatial, spatiotemporal, spherical, stereoscopic, superficial, surface, symmetrical, sympathetic, three-dimensional, two-dimensional, volumetric